When you go to a restaurant, probably the very first thing we look for in the menu is a variety of salads that the restaurant is offering. Kids and adults, everyone enjoy salads equally. The most prominent factor for salad to be everyone’s favorite has probably to do with it’s easy customizability. You can easily ask for mix and match of fruits and vegetable according to your choice in the restaurant or make one at home in hardly 15 minutes. It looks beautiful to see various colors, textures and flavors in one dish. Most salads are fat-free and rich in fibers and so, considered to be extremely healthy.
But are really all the salads that you see in restaurants beneficial as they are suppose to be? A salad should ideally be low on fat, calories, sugar-content, etc. That is what will make it healthy. However, there are few salads in trend which are nowhere near to be called healthy. Let’s see few examples of such salads with the calorie, fat and sodium content in them.
Wendy’s Spicy Chicken Caesar Salad
Don’t we all love that Caesar Salad, with fresh-cut romaine, shaved Asiago Cheese and French bread croutons. No wonder it made a place on our list for the unhealthy salads. The Wendy Spicy Chicken Caesar Salad has 780 calories, 51 gm of fat and almost a day’s worth of sodium. You may consider passing it over next time and ordering something more healthy at least as far as salad is concerned.
Cheesecake Factory Grilled Chicken Tostada Salad
Crisp Corn Tortillas Topped with Grilled Marinated Chicken Breast and Black Beans Piled High with Mixed Greens, Fresh Corn, Green Onions and Cilantro All Tossed in Vinaigrette and Garnished with Avocado Cream, Salsa and Sour Cream. Are we still talking about a ‘Salad’ here! Here’s something that you may not see mentioned under the name of Cheesecake Factory Grilled Chicken Tostada Salad. It contains almost 1200 Calories, 15 gm of fats and more than a day’s worth of sodium. I hope you still like it as much as you did before.
Taco Bell Fiesta Taco Salad With Beef
While other fast food chains were making salads with greens, Taco Bell decided to forgo the formula. Instead, they tossed a burrito’s ingredients into a taco shell and added a few shreds of lettuce. I am sure if you have had it, you have loved it. But what when it’s inside? No less of a culprit, it adds 770 calories and 41 gm of Fat. The fatty filling in this Taco salad is almost with 5 tacos’. Scary for those on diet, it’s it?
Burger King Chicken Apple and Cranberry Garden Fresh Salad
Chicken, Apple & Cranberry Garden Fresh Salad perfectly blends premium lettuces, crisp apples, sweet dried cranberries, and crumbly blue cheese. Mouth-watering. Well, may not be for those worried about their diet. 680 calories, 42 gm fat and 7 teaspoons of sugar doesn’t sound very healthy.
California Pizza Kitchen Thai Crunch
Crisp veggies and cilantro with chicken and crunch of the peanuts, wontons and rice sticks, tossed in Thai peanut dressing. This is what you expect to see in your dish when you order for a Thai Crunch salad at California Pizza Kitchen. Here’s what you get in complimentary with the beautiful looking salad. 1460 calories and 97 gm of fat. You may want to look further for salads in the menu next time.
Applebee’s Pecan-Crusted Chicken Salad
Crunchy pecan-crusted chicken, crisp romaine, mandarin oranges, honey-glazed pecans, celery, dried cranberries and bleu cheese crumbles—all tossed with our honey balsamic vinaigrette. From the 5-6 salads in their menu, if you have chosen this one, be prepared to intake 1340 calories, 80 gm of fat and whooping 16 teaspoons of sugar. Your diet plan for the week has just gone for a toss.
Chili’s Quesadilla Explosion Salad
Layers of flavor make this our most popular salad. includes grilled chicken with cheese, tomatoes, corn relish, cilantro and tortilla strips. served with our citrus-balsamic dressing and cheese quesadilla wedges. It’s much beautiful than it sounds and much more tastier. Let’s see what you score on your calorie count once you have one of these. 1430 calories, 96 gm of fat, sodium almost worth more than a day and 4 teaspoons of sugar. I am sure your physical trainer will not be very pleased.
So next time while using the phrase ‘I’ll just have salad’, do make sure your compromise of not having a fancy meal doesn’t go to vain. Just the name ‘salad’ doesn’t do it all. What is in the salad you ordered or made at home is more important.
- California Pizza Kitchen. (2015). Retrieved October 15, 2015, from California Pizza Kitchen: http://www.cpk.com/menu/
- chicken-apple-cranberry-garden-fresh-salad. (2015). CHICKEN, APPLE & CRANBERRY SALAD. Retrieved October 15, 2015, from Burger King: http://www.bk.com/menu-item/chicken-apple-cranberry-garden-fresh-salad
- ERICA FAMOJURE, S. C. (2015). The 20 Greatest Taco Bell Menu Items of All Time. Retrieved October 15, 2015, from Complex: http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2013/05/the-20-greatest-taco-bell-menu-items-of-all-time/chicken-fiesta-taco-salad
- Grill and Bar. (2015). Fresh Salad. Retrieved October 15, 2015, from Applebee’s: http://www.applebees.com/menu/fresh-salads
- Quality is our Recipe. (2015). SPICY CHICKEN CAESAR SALAD FULL SIZE . Retrieved October 15, 2015, from Wendy’s: https://www.wendys.com/en-us/salads/spicy-chicken-caesar-salad
- Shereen Lehman, M. (2015). How to Ruin a Healthy Salad. Retrieved October 15, 2015, from about health: http://nutrition.about.com/od/recipesmenus/ss/How-to-Ruin-a-Healthy-Salad.htm
- The Cheesecake Factory. (2015). GRILLED CHICKEN TOSTADA SALAD. Retrieved October 15, 2015, from The Cheesecake Factory: http://www.thecheesecakefactory.com/menu/salads/salads/grilled-chicken-tostada-salad/#